Saturday, March 9, 2024

Proverbs 8:1-36 Wisdom's Call = Week 09 - Saturday

Wisdom's Call

Proverbs 8:1-36



Reminder: Pray to God to set your heart right as you engage His word. The text you are about to study was not written to you but is written for you. So, before applying we must ask the following questions:
  • What did it mean to the original reader or original audience?
READ THE SCRIPTURE(Multiple times & translations and notice the words that standout)
Biblegateway (NIV) (My choice of all-round site. Great app, better on computers or on phone)
StepBible (ESV) (Great on phone or computer with good resources.)


Hashtags:
#Wisdom


Themes
Wisdom as a Divine Attribute
The Eternal Nature of Wisdom
Wisdom's Influence on Justice and Prudence
Value of Wisdom over Material Wealth
The Joy of Being in Wisdom's Presence

Topics
The Proclamation of Wisdom
Wisdom’s Origins
Wisdom’s Influence in Creation
Wisdom's Invitation to Mankind
Benefits of Embracing Wisdom


Potential Sermon Titles: ??

Intro Questions to get us thinking:
  • Rank order these "pillars of trust" according to your experience of them: (a) Political candidates? (b) MDs? (c) Police officers? (d) Doomsday prophets? (e) News editors? (f) TV evangelists?

ESV Text with Highlights
#God 
#People = Wisdom (Personified), God (Creator), Readers or Seekers of Wisdom
#Time
#Place = High places along the way, At the crossroads, The entrances of the city gates, The beginning of God's creation
#Obedient faith =
#Sin =
#Key Idea =

Proverbs 8 ESV

The Blessings of Wisdom

Does not wisdom call?
    Does not understanding raise her voice?
On the heights beside the way,
    at the crossroads she takes her stand;
beside the gates in front of the town,
    at the entrance of the portals she cries aloud:
“To you, O men, I call,
    and my cry is to the children of man.
O simple ones, learn prudence;
    O fools, learn sense.
Hear, for I will speak noble things,
    and from my lips will come what is right,
for my mouth will utter truth;
    wickedness is an abomination to my lips.
All the words of my mouth are righteous;
    there is nothing twisted or crooked in them.
They are all straight to him who understands,
    and right to those who find knowledge.
10 Take my instruction instead of silver,
    and knowledge rather than choice gold,
11 for wisdom is better than jewels,
    and all that you may desire cannot compare with her.

12 “I, wisdom, dwell with prudence,
    and I find knowledge and discretion.
13 The fear of the Lord is hatred of evil.
Pride and arrogance and the way of evil
    and perverted speech I hate.
14 I have counsel and sound wisdom;
    I have insight; I have strength.
15 By me kings reign,
    and rulers decree what is just;
16 by me princes rule,
    and nobles, all who govern justly.
17 I love those who love me,
    and those who seek me diligently find me.
18 Riches and honor are with me,
    enduring wealth and righteousness.
19 My fruit is better than gold, even fine gold,
    and my yield than choice silver.
20 I walk in the way of righteousness,
    in the paths of justice,
21 granting an inheritance to those who love me,
    and filling their treasuries.

22 “The Lord possessed me at the beginning of his work,
    the first of his acts of old.
23 Ages ago I was set up,
    at the first, before the beginning of the earth.
24 When there were no depths I was brought forth,
    when there were no springs abounding with water.
25 Before the mountains had been shaped,
    before the hills, I was brought forth,
26 before he had made the earth with its fields,
    or the first of the dust of the world.
27 When he established the heavens, I was there;
    when he drew a circle on the face of the deep,
28 when he made firm the skies above,
    when he established the fountains of the deep,
29 when he assigned to the sea its limit,
    so that the waters might not transgress his command,
when he marked out the foundations of the earth,
30     then I was beside him, like a master workman,
and I was daily his delight,
    rejoicing before him always,
31 rejoicing in his inhabited world
    and delighting in the children of man.

32 “And now, O sons, listen to me:
    blessed are those who keep my ways.
33 Hear instruction and be wise,
    and do not neglect it.
34 Blessed is the one who listens to me,
    watching daily at my gates,
    waiting beside my doors.
35 For whoever finds me finds life
    and obtains favor from the Lord,
36 but he who fails to find me injures himself;
    all who hate me love death.”

 








OBSERVATIONS(Reflect on the topic and build the concept the writer is trying to communicate to the original audience)
ebible (NLT) (Best for having Bible sections divided by "pericope" or sections by thought)
Bible Project (NLT) (Helpful videos and instructions for the bigger picture)
Thematic Bible(Books and Chapters Structure)
Bible Hub = Outline, Themes, Topics, People, Locations, and Questions


(PROVERBS 8)

Wisdom proclaims her worth, availability, and accomplishments.

I.   Wisdoms Entreaty (Proverbs 8:1–21, 32–36): Wisdom calls from the hilltops and crossroads, telling all who will listen about the importance of accepting her words. Her words are:

A. Valid (Pro 8:1–9)

1. “Let me give you common sense” (8:1–5).

2. “Everything I say is right” (8:6).

3. “I speak the truth and hate every kind of deception” (8:7).

4. “My advice is wholesome and good” (8:8).

5. “My words are plain to anyone with understanding” (8:9).

B. Valuable (Pro 8:10–11, 18–21): Wisdom is more precious than silver, gold, or rubies.

C. Vital (Pro 8:12–17): All earth’s rulers need wisdom to lead and judge wisely.

D. Vibrant (Pro 8:32–36)

1. They bring abundant life (8:32–35).

2. They bring about Gods approval (8:35–36): But those who miss wisdom injure themselves and love death.

II. Wisdoms Eternality (Pro 8:22–31): Many believe that Jesus himself is referred to in these verses.

A.   Wisdom creates with God in eternity past (Pro 8:22–29): Wisdom is with God during Creation.

B.   Wisdom is Gods companion from eternity past (Pro 8:30–31): Wisdom is God’s constant delight



STUDY RESOURCES (This takes some work and here are more resources than you can go through completely)
StudyLight (LEB) (Great site with commentaries by Burton Coffman)
NETBible (New English Translation) (Great for original text information)
BibleHub (HCSB) (Good on computer or app/phone with lots of well-organized information.)
BlueLetter  (KJV) (A variety of resources and good on Phones / better on Computers)
Literal Word (NASB) (Works well on a smartphone or computer + for searching for words like a printed concordance)
Biblia.com (NCV) (Great on a computer especially if you have a logos account)
KnowingJesus (Phone / Computer and great for comparing translations)
  • God is ... What do we learn about God in this passage?
  • We are ... What do we learn about people in this passage?
  • As you listen to "Wisdom" call out, what does she sound like: (a) Talk show host? (b) Football coach? (c) TV evangelist? (d) Kindly grandma? (e) Barker at a carnival? (f) Other? 
  • "Parallelism" is where the second line of a couplet repeats, enhances, or contrasts with the first, in order to enrich the idea. What examples of each form do you find in this passage? Is this poetry confusing, or convincing, for you? Why? Is this poetic way of speaking simply a quaint oriental custom to you? Or do you see God's purpose in it? What purpose is that? 
  • With what is wisdom equated or likened? How many different comparisons can you find here? 
  • From verses Proverbs 8:12-21, what results from finding wisdom? Which fruit of wisdom do you most want? 
  • Verses Proverbs 8:22-31 are a hymn personifying wisdom as an attribute of God, active in creation (see Proverbs 1:20-33; 3:15-18; 9:1-12). Later, biblical writers used this as a background for portraying Christ as the Word of God (see John 1:1-3) and the wisdom of God (see 1 Corinthians 1:24,30; Colossians 2:3). What connection do you see between this hymn to wisdom and hymns you sing about Christ (on whom all wisdom is focused)? 
  • Verses Proverbs 8:32-36 drive home the appeal of wisdom with the ultimate sanctions of life and death. It's as if the Lord Jesus himself were talking. How might these be considered a promise of the Savior?


APPLICATION(God wants us all to arrive at action, life-changing faith)
Heartlight (Great for practical application of scripture)
The Message (MSG) (An easy-to-read paraphrase that helps some with application)


  • "Listen, for I have worthy things to say" -- how many times have you heard that line before? From whom? Was it worthy it? How did you discern that for sure? In this Scripture, "Wisdom" begs you to listen: Are you? Why or why not? What first grabs your attention? What keeps you listening for more? 
  • Would wisdom make your list of "Ten Most Precious Things in the World"? Why? Solomon says wisdom is "more precious than rubies": Is jewelry, money or possessions on your "Top Ten" list? What, if anything, could buy wisdom? On the other hand, what could wisdom buy? 
  • lf "Christ" could be substituted for "wisdom" in this chapter, how would that affect your view or application of its main points? For example, what then would be the meaning of "finds life" (v. 35)? How can you find "wisdom" or "life" without Christ? 
  • How is your personal search for wisdom progressing? Wisdom intended for all mankind includes your group, as well. Ask them for help.
  • I will ... What has the Holy Spirit revealed to us in this passage? How can I apply it to my life this week?

  • You can ... Who do you know who needs to hear this? Feel free to share with others by social media links at the bottom of this.

Extra Proverbs on Topic
#WisdomsCall
Proverbs 8:1-36
Proverbs 9:1-6



Other YouTube Videos

Articles

Devotions

No comments:

Post a Comment