Thursday, August 31, 2023

Philippians 4:14-20 A Real Story of Sharing = August 31

TITLE
Scripture

Intro Questions

Text Graphic
  • God is ... What do we learn about God in this passage?
  • We are ... What do we learn about people in this passage?

  • I will ... What has the Holy Spirit revealed to us in this passage? How can I apply it to my life this week?

  • You can ... Who do you know who needs to hear this? Feel free to share with others by social media links at the bottom of this.







Other Resources:




YOU ARE WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSE TO BE
Dr. Joe Pettigrew

“My God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.”
Philippians 4:19


What am I doing in Nacogdoches, Texas. It's certainly beautiful, just a heat index of 108 today. It is the oldest town in Texas. I love my church and our friends. But I'm not a Texas guy, I sometimes wonder, "Hey God, why am I here?"

In the next few days I will reach a milestone birthday. I never thougth being 39 would be a milestone but evidently some people believe it actually is. Actually, full disclosure, I am a few years older than that.

With an upcoming birthday it caused me to reflect on my life and ask myself some questions. How did I get where I am today? How did someone who grew up in a small town in rural Tennessee happen to find himself living in the great state of Texas, in a town that took me over two years just to learn how to spell it.

Why did I have the privilege of being a teacher, owning a Consulting Firm, and serving as a college Dean while growing up in a family where I was the first person to gradate from college.

To some people, the answer is quite simple: we are where we are because of our choices. We choose where we live, whom we marry, and what we do with our lives. If we make good choices, things work out well, and if we make bad choices, things work out poorly.

Some people might also say that Paul was in prison because of the choices he made. He could have refused to become a Christian; he could have turned down the challenge of becoming a missionary for Jesus. He could have been more careful and compromising. It seems that some of the early Christians even felt that Paul being in prison was a mistake and was never meant to be.

Paul responded by saying that it was God who put him there. God had Paul where he wanted him. Through his imprisonment Paul was able to bring the gospel message straight to the seat of government in Rome. Thank God that in spite of our good, bad, or even sinful choices, when all is said and done, the Lord always gets us where he wants us.

Thought of the Day

The Lord always gets us where He wants us, He makes no mistakes. Ask God to help you live wisely and look for your direction each day. You are where God wants you today. Settle in and enjoy the ride.


=======
MEETING YOUR NEEDS OR YOUR WANTS
Dr. Joe Pettigrew

“My God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.”
Philippians 4:19


My God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.

I have known people that interpret this verse as if they had a genie in a bottle they are carrying around just waiting for them to ask for things they want.

When Paul wrote the words, he was speaking from experience. Ever since he'd become a Christian and a missionary for the Lord, he had faced almost every need imaginable.

He'd been thrown in prison, he'd faced persecution, and he'd suffered at the hands of those who hated him. But God had faithfully met Paul's needs every step of the way.

God had never let him down. Whether in plenty or in want, hungry or well fed, Paul had experienced God's providing hand.

God promises to meet our every need. He already knows what we'll need, and he promises to meet our needs. God will be with us every step of the way, providing for us in ways that only God can. It's guaranteed!

Make sure you don't misinterpret these words of Paul. God does not promise to give us everything we want. Sometimes God's answer to our prayers is "No." Sometimes God will answer our prayers in ways that we don't want or expect. There may be lots of things God will withhold from us. But he does promise to give us what we need in order to fulfill his purpose for our lives.


Thought of the Day

We have been given today to serve God. As God meets our needs, he also asks us to help meet the needs of people around us. This is one way in which God shows his presence through us. Help us to see the needs of others, and move us to be willing to help meet those needs.




No comments:

Post a Comment