Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Things You Need to Know About Bible Translations


Bible Translations, is there a "perfect one" that I should read? I, like many others, often get asked which translation of the Bible is the best, or why I preach out of the translation I do (usually NIV). I also have been reprimanded by individuals from time to time when I guest speak at churches for not using "the right translation". It is a great study and will remain a good topic as long as this area grows.

Bible teachers and preachers like to use different translations for different purposes. When I am teaching or preaching I usually use the NIV because it is a good mixture between "word for word" and "thought for thought" but it does have it's issues and they frequently change different aspects. I have found it is what most people "in the pew" are using. However, when I am preparing for a sermon/class I try to compare translations. This very easily done ONLINE now. (If I'm preaching from the New Testament I usually consort a Greek Interlinear Bible, KJV, NASB, NRSV, NLT, NCV, and the NIV.) In some cases, the NIV misses the mark and I will opt for a different translation for a particular text.

Recently there is a good article written on this topic. I thought you all might find this interesting.

5 Things You Need to Know About Bible Translations


As the article states, all translations have their strengths and weaknesses. So, I thought you all might like to read this article. He makes some good points.



No comments:

Post a Comment